chevron_right close
Procedure to Self-Carry and Self-Administer
Non-Prescription Pain Relief Medication

According to Minnesota Statute (2005), a secondary ** student may possess and use non-prescription pain relief in a manner consistent with the labeling if the district has written parental or guardian authorization.  
Note:  This is limited to pain medication.  Students are not allowed to have other types of medication on school grounds.  These must be administered from the Health Office.

The parent or guardian must submit written authorization for the student to self-administer the pain medication each school year. The parents must instruct their child on the proper use and administration of the medication. The parent must send the medication to school in its original bottle/container. The student must also agree to the responsibilities associated with self-carry and self-administration of medication.

The FDA states there are two categories of over-the-counter (OTC) pain relievers/fever reducers: acetaminophen and nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs).

Acetaminophen – Tylenol products
NSAIDs – Ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil products)
Naproxen (Naprosyn, Aleve)

It is important that students are not taking medications with aspirin as research has established a link between Reye’s Syndrome and Asprin or other salicylate containing medications.

The school district may revoke a student’s privilege to possess and use non-prescription pain relievers if the school district determines that the student is abusing the privilege.

**Please note that this procedure applies to secondary students only.
Forms for Medication Authorization available at the School office or under School Nurses-->forms.